Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cake Madness


All this cold weather is keeping me inside and curled up under a thick layer of blankets.  I've never been a huge fan of cold weather and with the constant artic blasts, I'm hating it even more.

So I haven't really been working on cute looks over the last several days, since I've been choosing warmth over style!  But I promise I'll post some new outfits once my body thaws out!

***

I decided to make today's post about something that makes everyone happy.  Cakes and cupcakes!  You're smiling now aren't you?!  Just the thought of a delicious cake that's so prettily decorated always puts a smile on my face too.

I decided to post all of my favorite cakes that I've made.  I just finished my first cake decorating course at Michael's last night.  And it was so much fun.  It was just the basics in buttercream, but also the basics needed in decorating.  I'm already signed up for course 2, where we'll learn how to make some more beautiful flowers.  

I can't really say when I got into cake decorating.  I started playing around with simple cupcakes and decided to try it more with different techniques.  Then this past summer I really wanted to make my daughters birthday cake.  I had never really used fondant before, but decided to give it a try.  And 9 hours later I was finished!

***

Finished with Course 1

My Course 1 Final Cake.. I decided to do a super bowl theme cake.

Baby Shower cupcakes with a light purple rose piped on it and topped with silver pearls and silver sprinkles

Playing around with buttercream and different tips in one of my classes

Two-toned Halloween themed cupcake

My daughter's 2nd birthday cake.. and pretty much my first time using fondant!

Our New Years Eve cake with fondant and hand piped candy numbers

Course 1 cake decorating cake.  Simple, but cute

A birthday cake I made for my husband's co-worker's wife.  This is just a close up of the bow. 

The full cake.  Everything is done in fondant.  It was a lot of work but tons of fun to make!
***

In later posts I'll start posting some of my favorite tips, tricks and recipes.

What are some of your favorite cake themes and recipes?

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my blog.  Feel free to follow my blog too if you'd like!
xoxo - Beth

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Please follow along for more of my daily style!
xoxo - Beth

On Instagram

© Behind My Heels. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.