Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Floral and Cakes

I've been having so much fun making and decorating cakes.  For Valentine's Day I made a simple cake with homemade chocolate covered strawberries and added some handmade calla lilies.  The top was covered in a chocolate glaze and had a twinkie cream filling!  Needless to say it was delicious!



The last week I've been pretty busy in my kitchen baking cakes.  I spent the most time working on my son's 6th birthday cake and making royal icing flowers for my cake decorating class.  Tuesday was our course 2 final and we had to make a cake using the things we had learned in that course.  I decided my cake would have daffodils and lilies.  And it turned out so much better than I thought it would!

My son's Lego Present Cake (everything is handmade.)  Candy legos and a gum paste bow.

My Course 2 Final Cake.

Since I've developed a passion for cake decorating and flowers, I decided to start trying to make gum paste flowers.  My first attempt was a calla lily, which turned out better than expected.  I still need to try the coloring part to make them look more life like.  


And today my goal was to try the stargazer lily.  This one took most of the afternoon.  I had to roll, cut and color the gum paste.  The wait a few hours for them to try.  Paint the petals, wrap and them piece them together.  But I was pretty pleased with the end result!  Can't wait to try out more flowers!  Next week I'm planning to make a King Cake and a Mardi Gras themed cake!


***

Thank you for stopping by and checking out my love of cakes!

xoxo - Beth


Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Please follow along for more of my daily style!
xoxo - Beth

On Instagram

© Behind My Heels. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.