Monday, January 11, 2016

Mixing Prints


Hello Monday.  Where did the weekend go?!  I spent mine pretty much being lazy with my nose glued to a new book series I found.  I did manage to carve some time out for the gym and attended my son's swimming lessons.  But since I managed to catch this annoying cough that won't go away, I pretty much just vegged on the couch and read!  

How was your weekend?


Last year I really got into mixing prints.  When I first saw my fellow bloggers doing it, I'll admit it scared the crap out of me.  I love how it looked on them, but I was always afraid I'd end up looking like Jim Carey in Ace Venture Pet Detective!  You know the scene I'm talking about, he's wearing the tutu, board shorts and printed shirt!  But as the months wore on, I finally got the hand of it.  And I have to admit it's not scary at all.  I have a few people who've mentioned they could never pull off this look or mix prints, because they don't match.  But I'm here to say that you really can do it!

The key to mixing prints is to first off, make sure there's a similar color palette.  This outfit has blueish grey and black in both items, my top and scarf.  But if you look here and here you'll see again that the mixed prints I'm wearing have a similar palette.  But you can also have fun with it.  Mix polka dots and lace, leopard print and plaid.  The one thing I love about fashion nowadays are there are no rules.  Play in your closet and just grab and item you love and see what new and fun ways you can wear it!








Top/ Hazel & Olive - similar | Ponco Wrap/ Taylor Monroe - similar 
Jeans/ Charlotte Russe | Boots/ DSW - similar


1 comment

  1. Those are two prints that mix very nicely! I love the lace detailing on the top of your shirt. I flock toward anything with lace paneling. haha It's my weakness! Better than Ace! (;

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Please follow along for more of my daily style!
xoxo - Beth

On Instagram

© Behind My Heels. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.