Monday, October 23, 2017

Halloween Wars


I'm not much for cooking shows, but I'm obsessed with watching Cake/Cupcake Wars.  And at Halloween time, I LOVE to watch Halloween Wars.  What these cake artists can do with pumpkin, sugar and cake blows my mind.  And I wish I had half the talent they do.

The last several years I've been watching this show, and it never gets old.  Each season the detail and displays get crazier and crazier!

My only question... what do they do with all that cake?!

Remember my post a little while ago where I taught a Pinterest Class for the spouse club I'm in?  Well I gave y'all a sneak peek at the cupcakes I made for it.  I mean you can't have a party and not have sweets right?  But then again I'm always looking for an excuse to bake!

I saw these cupcakes on Pinterest while looking up ideas for an upcoming Halloween Party I'm baking for.  And I had to give it a try!

I mean who wouldn't want to take a bite of some bloody glass cupcakes?!

I've never attempted to make sugar glass, but how hard could it be?


The recipe seemed easy enough.  And honestly it was, but it took a little longer (and two batches) than I thought.

To make this all you need is 4 simple ingredients that you can find in your pantry:
- 1 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1/4 Tsp Cream of Tarter
- 3 1/2 Cups of Sugar
- 2 Cups Water

You'll also need a candy thermometer, spatula, pot and a metal cookie sheet.  Throw all four items into the pot and turn on high.  If you start off low/medium, it'll take forever.  So take my word and start on high!


You'll want to stay near your stove, because you need to constantly stir with a rubber spatula.  Make sure to keep your candy thermometer in the pot the whole time to measure the temperature.  Once you hit 300° immediately take it off the burner and pour onto your metal pan so it can cool completely.  After it's cooled, drop the pan on the counter or take a meat hammer and smash it into shards!


For my cupcakes, I kept it simple with a french vanilla cupcake and buttercream.  I piped it using a star tip.  I used red icing with a few drops of brown and thinned it out until it was "soupy" like.  Using a small spoon, I splattered and drizzled it on to give it a bloody look.  Finally I topped it with my "glass" shard.


Needless to say, everyone was a little freaked out and thought I lost my mind!  Once they figured out it was sugar and not real glass they dug in!  I ended up with a few left over and took them home for my kids.  After about 2 days the "glass" melted into the icing.  Darn you humidity!

If you thought these were creepy, stay tuned!  I have a few more Halloween cupcakes to come!

XO - Beth

12 comments

  1. Oh my goodness these are so much fun! How creative. I'm not gonna lie...I always wonder where all that cake goes too! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG those are so awesome! You are skilled. LOL I would not have patience for those treats but I'm sure they're worth it.
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome- these turned out so good, babe!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this show, good to know and wow these turned out GREAT, what clever idea, I love it! Good job!

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching that show nonstop!

    https://styledwithamanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These came out amazing! I don't usually watch cooking shows either, but have been sucked into this fun series lately! <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips.
    xx
    https://theonethattravels.wordpress.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_zn7IqrAY1I44bRuN6dH-Q/featured

    ReplyDelete
  8. So my Mom wants to throw a big Halloween party next year, and I was going to ask you for the recipe for these cupcakes and how you made the glass! You were the first person I thought of when I talked to her, because I know these would be just perfect for the party! Seriously, great job! Hope you have a fun Halloween!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg! these are almost to cute to eat! Almost!!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: LONDON ROOM & MY FAVORITE DRESS

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY!!! These cupcakes and that cake are amazing!! Your skills are incredible!
    Love your black top too, the crisscross detail is fabulous!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cupcakes came out great. Love all the baking. I need to step my game up in the baking department.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Please follow along for more of my daily style!
xoxo - Beth

On Instagram

© Behind My Heels. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.