Thursday, August 24, 2017

Big Girl Bedroom Make-Over


My kids are getting older and are starting to out grow their "baby" rooms.  Part of me is like "yes, they're becoming big kids, I love this!" where the other part of is me is like "no my babies are growing up too fast... SLOW DOWN!".  But regardless they're growing and it's time to do some room updating.  My son's room reflects him pretty well, but my daughter's room looks like a toy store exploded and everything was a hodge podge of items.

Recently I came across a post online about someone selling an older dresser, which reminded me of the dresser my older sister had when we were kids.  I was in love with it and always wished I would get one like it too, side note: I didn't.  So when I had the chance to buy this one I jumped on it.  It was in good condition but needed some TLC.

(There were stickers all over the drawers from decades ago, and the paint white had yellowed with age)

After spending (more time than I should) on Pinterest and with the help of my friend, I found the perfect inspiration for making over this dresser.  Originally I was going to keep it classic and simple, but realizing it was going into my soon to be 6 year old daughters room, I wanted to make it cute and chic.  So off to Lowe's I went in search of some paint.

(Pictures from Pinterest)

I've painted furniture before, but it was always a slap some paint on it and call it a day job, so this time I wanted to take my time and do it right.  At Lowe's (one of my weaknesses) I picked up a can of Valspar Chalky Finish Paint in "Kids Gloves" color then a can of Valspar Sealing Wax.  Lastly I grabbed a sample bottle of Valspar in Baby Blush.  This was going to be the pop of color on the drawers.  To be safe before I started sanded the rough edges and primed the dresser with some Valspar Bonding Primer/Sealer.

(From Lowes.com)
Once I had all my supplies gathered up and the kids went off to Grandma and Grandpa's for the week, I turned on the music and zoned out!

A little (okay a lot) of sanding to get the old stickers off, then a coat of primer and I was off.  I took the handles off and spray painted them a beautiful metallic gold.  After the primer was dried I applied 2 coats of the chalky paint and let it dry overnight.  Then I added the sealing wax and again let it dry overnight.  Once all that was finished and the painting tape was removed (around the mirror) I found a gold paint pen, and yes, I hand painted detail lines on the dresser and around the mirror to add a pop of gold to match the handles!  Hmm, maybe this contributed to my carpal tunnel?!


In total this dresser took me about 3 days to complete.  Granted I had house work, volunteer work and the occasional break for you know sleeping and eating!  But the finished product just made me smile!  I still walk into her bedroom 2 weeks later and I still smile at how it turned out!

(Don't mind the mess... I wasn't finished cleaning and re-arranging her room!)



Once I got started on this a close friend of mine mentioned that she had a desk that almost matches this dresser and that I could have it.  So naturally I said YES after thanking her a million times.  I got it home and upstairs and began to prep it.  I did the same color scheme, but since it was smaller and had less detail to do it was a lot faster to makeover!


Naturally once it was finished I couldn't wait to decorate it with a few new desk accessories we found at Marshalls.  Seeing the look on my daughters face when she came home though was priceless.  My wrists may have been throbbing (and yes they still hurt a lot) but the pain and late nights were totally worth it!




I'm already looking forward to my next piece of furniture to makeover!

That's all I've got for now, but check back next time to see what new is happening behind my heels!

xoxo - B

2 comments

  1. All of this is SO adorable!! I'm in love with the paint on the dresser. So girly and fun!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Please follow along for more of my daily style!
xoxo - Beth

On Instagram

© Behind My Heels. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.